Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ira and the baby bath

Below is a story about Ira and the baby dolls - which he is extremely interested in at the moment. He also loves seeing other childrens baby brothers and sisters come into the centre. He is now much more understanding that he needs to be extremely gentle with them. The other day he gave one baby brother a very nice cuddle! I couldn't help but laugh at his attempts to bath the doll thou - as I wrote in the story I suspect there was a alternative motive! I was talking about his love of water with Alex and she was saying that Mum and Dad take him to the pool - would love to hear how he goes. To keep in mind for future - Karori Pool do some very good private lessons for kids with special needs (Thou my connection who was running them is no longer there. The tend to run them one - on -one so they can tailor them to the children's needs. Maybe when he is a bit taller and a bit more stable on his legs it would be something he would enjoy (thou with the amount he eats I don't think growing is going to something he does slowly)I suspect being in the water allows him to have a rest from using all his muscles to keep his head and body upright. Having worked with older children with physical issues and muscle stiffness they all say that being in the water is something they find extremely relaxing!



1 comment:

Maria - Ira's mum said...

Ha- thanks Rowan for your posts - wonderful. We've also noticed he's started role playing now- and it's great to know he's playing Mum : LOL

Great recommendation about the swimming thank you! He's missed out on a lot of pool time becasue of various stages of healing from surgeries but for now- the landscape ahead looks good!

Bummer you're contact is gone- but we'll give them a call- he LOVES the pool and I suspect you're right- would be great to give his little body some weightless time!

It's funny about splashing the water on to the doll, he's taken to brushing his teeth with Edie and I and then copying me if I'm wetting my hair by splashing great gallons of water up onto his head- which is still fairly bald- so it's pretty funny.